Millet is a remarkable source of protein, making it perfect for vegetarian diets. It’s also a good source of niacin, copper, and magnesium. You may want to give millet a try if you are allergic to wheat.. It is a low fat cereal and most of the fats are in the unsaturated form. A few health benefits are:
- Reduces High Glucose Levels in the Blood: Consumption of Ragi based diet is helpful for people with diabetes because of the higher fiber content as compared to rice and wheat. And also reduces starch digestibility and absorption. Recent research has indicated that the regular consumption of millet is associated with reduced risk of type 2 diabetes mellitus. This is mainly due to the fact that whole grains like millet are a rich source of magnesium, which acts as a co-factor in a number of enzymatic reactions in the body, regulating the secretion of glucose and insulin.
- Aids in Weight loss: Fibers in Ragi reduces excess appetite, gives you a feeling of fullness, and the slower digestion rate of the cereal allows you to take less calories. This supports the process of weight loss.
- Acts as a Relaxant: It acts as an excellent natural relaxant and helps to fight anxiety, insomnia and depression. Also helps in treating migraine headaches.
- Acts as a Good Source of Protein/Amino Acids: Ragi is a rich source of amino acids. It helps in repairing tissues, metabolism and muscle coordination. It is also good for blood formation, muscles repair, bone and skin health.
- Lowers Blood Cholesterol Levels: The essential amino acids present in Ragi, help to reduce cholesterol by removing excess fat from the liver, prevents the formation of fat in the liver and this, in turn, brings down the cholesterol level in the body.
- Children’s intake of whole grains like millet and fish has been shown to reduce the occurrence of wheezing and asthma.
- Acts as Remedy for Various Health Conditions: Regular intake of Ragi can prevent many health conditions such as malnutrition, premature ageing and the development of degenerative diseases. Green Ragi is a remedy for blood pressure, heart weakness, liver disease, asthma and lack of milk production during lactation period.
- Millet Nutrition content: 1 cup of cooked millet contain
Carbohydrate (g) 57
Total fat (g) 2.4
Cholesterol (mg) 0
Saturated fat (g) 0.4
Sodium (mg) 5
Monounsaturated fat (g) 0.4
Thiamin (mg) 0.3
Polyunsaturated fat (g) 1.2
Niacin (mg) 3.2
Dietary fiber (g) 3.1
Magnesium (mg) 106
Protein (g) 8
Zinc (mg) 2.2